Table of contents
What is Urgency Messaging?
Urgency messaging and scarcity messaging are widely used across marketing and in particular within eCommerce to increase conversion rates.
Going Fast! 50 sold in the last 48 hours
Hurry! Only 2 left
When integrating it into your eCommerce strategy, it is vital to only use real-time shopper behaviour data within social proof messages in order to gain shopper trust and not mislead shoppers.
Why is it used so widely in marketing?
Urgency messaging within marketing links closely to the concept of loss aversion which works on the principle that “losses loom larger than gains” (Kahneman & Tversky, 1979).
Integrating this kind of messaging prompts shoppers to act quickly for fear of missing out (FOMO) and is proven to dramatically increase conversion rates when used responsibly.
4 Examples of Urgency Messaging in Marketing
Leading global retailers and brands have seen staggering results by introducing Urgency Messaging into their Social Proof Messaging strategy across their eCommerce website, app, emails, social media and even Digital Out of Home (DOOH) billboards.
We have pulled together 5 examples and how these have positively increased Conversion Rates as part of a wider Social Proof Messaging strategy.
- “Don’t miss out!” on the Product Description Page:
- FatFace have used urgency messaging alongside other messages (e.g. highly rated, trending, recently purchased)
- “Hurry!” messaging at basket
- INDISKA use Urgency Messaging to great effect when customers hit their basket page with ‘Hurry! Only X left’ messaging. This has been so successful, that they have rolled out social proof messaging to 7 key markets
- Messaging and icon combinations:
- New Look use a combination of real-time purchase behaviour with seasonal icons as part of their social proof messaging strategy, leading to a 1.27% conversion rate uplift and £10k in additional sales in just one week
- Limited time offers:
- Victorianplumbing.co.uk have used colour theory to direct the eye to the offer with the use of red. Combining this with a countdown drives even greater levels of urgency
- This combined with social proof messages integrated with the gallery images helps create an even greater sense of urgency